Celebs Weigh In On Osama Bin Laden At Met Gala

By Lisa Respers France, CNN

(CNN) -- It was a night of fashion at the Met's Costume Institute Gala Monday night in New York City, but a few stars took a moment to share their thoughts about the death of Osama bin Laden.

"I think it's fantastic," model Naomi Campbell told CNN. "President Obama has done an amazing job by keeping it quiet and coming out and saying this to us now."

"I'm very, very proud and I have huge respect for President Obama," she added. "I hope that this will make other people stop speaking badly about him... he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore."

Actress Blake Lively said "It's so incredible, such a wonderful moment for the country," while "Twilight Saga" star Ashley Greene remarked, "I think probably like the rest of America, I was kind of stunned but I think it's great."

Actor Josh Duhamel and his wife, Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie, said they were in separate cities when the news broke, as he was in Los Angeles and she was already in New York.

"I commend Obama," Duhamel said. "I really commend those Navy SEALs who had the courage to go in there and do that - those guys are unbelievable."

"I think all the New Yorkers who [lost someone] are very happy," Fergie said. "Justice was served and although for me it's hard to praise the death of someone, frankly a lot of people have lost family members and lives and we think of them."

Duhamel joked that CNN should ask Donald Trump, who stood nearby with his wife Melania. "He's gonna want proof," Duhamel said.

Trump, whose show "Celebrity Apprentice" was interrupted by news of the capture, said he and his wife were watching television when they learned of what happened.

"Well, I thought it was really amazing," Trump said. "Having caught this animal was fantastic as far as I was concerned. It's amazing how long he was able to get away with it but they got him and they did a great job."

Singer John Legend said he believed it was a "good moment for America."

"It was surreal, it really was," Legend told CNN. "It was like a mix of emotions, because it was like disbelief for a second and then just a certain kind of relief and closure and happiness."

Late night host Jimmy Fallon, meanwhile, echoed an earlier tweet he'd posted about the news.

"[Obama] got Osama bin Laden and he also cut off 'Celebrity Apprentice' by 15 minutes, so I think it's a win-win for Obama," Fallon said.

Comments