Megan Good Adresses Deceptions' Joanna Locasto and Being Black

(Top L-R) Actors Laz Alonso, Wes Brown, Katherine LaNasa, Ella Rae Peck, Marin Hinkle, (Bottom L-R) Executive Producers.Liz Heldens, Gail Berman, actors Meagan Good, Victor Garber, and Tate Donovan speak onstage at the “Deception” panel session during the NBCUniversal portion of the 2013 Winter TCA Tour- Day 3 at the Langham Hotel on January 6, 2013 in Pasadena
Is it possible to omit the conversation of her race and simply focus on the show? No. The issue of race inevitably came up during a Q&A panel for “Deception,” NBC’s anticipated new drama that follows the bold footsteps of “Scandal” by featuring a black actress, Meagan Good, in the lead role.
 
“One thing that I thought was really cool is when I read the script, the characters were not specified [by] race,” Good told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.
 
Added Good of the script: “It wasn’t like, you know, this young black girl, anything. It was just Joanna. And I thought that was really great with both Laz and my character.”
 
“My character, when I was cast, his last name was Sackavich,” Alonso told reporters. “Now he’s Moreno. It makes a little more sense. Throw a little bit of my Spanish in there every now and then when I get a chance, but for me it’s been great to play a well-rounded human being regardless of color or racial ethnicity.”



Comments